Friday, January 24, 2014

My favorite INB pages so far...

This is just a quick post since I started writing this post back in October and quite frankly having it sit in the drafts is stressing me out!

Moving to 8th grade this year has been awesome. I love the age group, love my school, and most of all I love my staff. My department has been so supportive of all the "changes" I wanted to make to the way 8th grade had been done in the past. The only problem was that I had so many resources for 6th and 7th grade, not so much for 8th grade. I knew I didn't have enough time over the summer to create new resources for my kids and finish the projects that I was already working on. 

I knew that I would need to peruse TPT for some help. I already had some favorite sellers that I could go to and I have to say that the best purchase I made was Lisa Davenport's ultimate foldable bundle. It has over 80 foldables ready to go for 8th grade and algebra 1. I still have to fill in some of my own here and there, but I have some other templates that I have purchased to help me with that. 

Here are just a few pages that I think turned out great. These are "my" pages and not the kids. Since I do most everything on the smart board, I don't always go back and write in the notebook. It's mostly for me to keep up with what page we are on. I know I need to do a better job of this!


Everyone's notebook starts with this page. They read the "rules" and then they sign it. Anytime they ask, "do we have to write this?" I always respond with, "what's rule number 6?" And they usually groan and write down whatever it is that they were protesting in the first place. 

This is the first table of contents page. I have them write the title of the page, the page number, and the date.  It makes it a lot easier when I reference an old page for review or when they have questions. 

This is one of the foldables from Lisa's bundle and it does a great job of illustrating the real number system so that kids understand. I should have taken a picture of the inside. Oops. 


This is one to teach scientific notation. It has four flaps to illustrate the four different types of problems involving scientific notation. We reference this foldable A LOT. 


This is one that I created on a whim because I realized my kids didn't remember from 7th grade about absolute value. I was including it in order of operations so this was a quick 10 minute mini-lesson that I made using 4mulaFun's flippable pack. 


I have been looking for different, fun ways to incorporate vocabulary in my classes this year. I have been trying something different each unit just to keep it fresh. For this unit, every student got an envelope and 10 index cards. We created our own frayer models and the kids loved it. 

And, finally, this was one of the most useful foldables that we have used so far. My kids LOVED evaluating algebraic expressions with square roots. Here's why: I told them we were doing Algebra. There is something about telling kids that we are working on something that is supposedly above their grade level! They eat it up and totally pay attention. Go figure. 

And there ya have it! I do apologize for not having links and is there is something misspelled. I'm on my iPad and it is difficult to edit!

How has your week been?

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing the information about that bundle! That is exactly what I have been looking for the past few days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! We have been home all week due to snow and cold temperatures. I am sitting here right now watching the weather and we are supposed to get more snow and more below zero temps next week. This is a great time to plan math lessons and grade papers! I really appreciate your ideas>

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you are using cool tape to hold down your foldables…nothing math related, I just think it looks cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look awesome!

    Thanks for sharing
    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! What a great resource for your students.

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your use of some of my templates! Do you mind if I link this post in my Facebook fan page?

    Also loving your washi tape!

    Feel free to email me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Some of these I purchased on TPT, and you can find the ones that I have in my TPT store: www.shoplivelovemath.com

      Delete