Sunday, January 5, 2014

Throwdown Thursday--3 days late...


Yes, I have a calendar. I know what day it is. I apparently am busier during winter break than I am during the school year since I have had a post-it on my monitor that says "Throwdown Thursday -- 1/2/14." For those of you who are unaware, a post-it makes the event permanent. Set in stone. As in, I MUST follow through! So, without further ado, I am linking up with Erin from Lovin' Lit for her monthly link-up!


One of the things that I use in my classroom to make learning more interactive is to assign random seats. I know what you are thinking, that is not interactive! But, it can be! The first thing that I do at the beginning of the school year, and then again at the beginning of each semester, is put vinyl stickers on my seats/desks that number the desks 1-30 (or however large my biggest class is!) Then, on the day that I want to switch seats for whatever reason (usually because they have become too comfortable in said seats and need to sit by someone less familiar--please tell me I am not alone...) I will stand at the door and hand each student a card. Or, when I am feeling especially lazy, I will place them in a basket by the door with instructions on the board. And, then there is usually a student who yells at all of the boys who don't pay attention. I teach 8th grade, ya know.

Anyhow, I know you are DYING to know what is on these cards. Big shock--math problems! Each card has a math problem that they need to solve in order to find their seats. They are usually problems that are relative to the content that we are studying at the time. The best part is when two kids try to sit in the same seat, or when someone says their seat isn't there. There is sometimes that one kid who just waits at the back until there is a seat left and sits there. BUT, I always go around and check to make sure they are in the right seats. The first time we do this, it can take 10-15 minutes and in a middle school class of only 50 minutes, that is a good chunk of time. HOWEVER, I think it is time well spent because of the error analysis.

Click the picture to view the product on TPT!

I do have 4 sets of these available in my store individually, as well as in a bundle for 25% off! If you buy the bundle, you will get any future sets of seating cards that I add to it for free just by re-downloading! I would love to know if there are other types of sets you would like to see, so feel free to email me or leave it in the comments. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Danielle, This idea is really awesome! I used your order of operations cards at the beginning of the year and it helped me pick out the kids right away that were possibly going to be need a little extra help. Much better activity than just saying hey you sit here!

    ReplyDelete